Home Sweet Home

Home Sweet Home

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Frustration



The morning sun coming in through the front door. Sometimes when things are not going well I have to put my mind on the things I like about the house, rather than the things that make me want to run screaming straight to the looney bin.

Well, I thought I was done with the taping, but I just wasn't happy with it. Previously I had been using the net stuff to tape the walls (you will remember that I have no idea what I'm doing, everything is an experiment, and a learning experience), but the guy at the hardware store talked me into just the thin paper tape. I liked this so much that I decided to re tape all my seams. yup, that's me, doin' everything at least twice, before I get it right. *sigh*. So I re-taped yesterday, and today began sanding. Before long I was covered in joint compound dust and my hands were joint compound clubs. It was in my hair and I know I must have looked rather "ghostly". Actually I think the word is ghastly.
For some reason the tape was just not adhering correctly. Even though I was careful to get out all the air bubbles, I thought, once dry they just popped right back up. This is not going to look good in the finished product. At one point I plopped my fancy mudding knife back into the j.c. pot and just sat down on the steps and cried for a few minutes, with my dust covered cheeks in my j.c. clubbed hands. I am beginning to wonder if this project is EVER going to be finished or I am I going to be in j.c. limbo forever? And when it IS finally done is the finished product going to be worth the two years of blood, sweat, and tears I have poured into it? I decided to take a break for a while and went into the coffee lounge for a while. I picked up my Bible, (I washed my hands first) and opened it to today's passage, Psalm 63. As I read, my self pity began to ebb away and pretty soon I felt OK again. There is nothing like a Psalm in the middle of the day to sooth the renovation blues.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bubbles are trouble.
here is a guide I put together
http://theheadlemur.typepad.com/remodeling_for_geeks/2008/12/drywall-taping-taping-walls.html

Here is a pic guide
http://theheadlemur.typepad.com/photos/taping/index.html

jujubee said...

You taped the seams and butt joints twice? Maybe that is where I am going wrong. Thanks for stopping by and leaving the link to your post. I can certainly use all the help I can get. Joolse.

Anonymous said...

If you are only putting on one coat, yes the joints will show.

Taping is a three coat operation for the flats and butts
Tape coat. where you imbed the tape
Cover coat. where you fill the seams and spread the butt joints
Finish coat. where you widen the butt joints and cover the seams again.

Inside corners are a two coater.
the tape coat.
the second coat where you do adjacent sides of the corner at a time, so you don't scrape off your mud when filling corners.

Outside corners are done one side at a time so that you don't roll mud onto the side you just coated.

Since you have a bucket of all purpose, take your time.
good luck