Home Sweet Home

Home Sweet Home

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

A Happy Room


It's been a long time since I have written anything about the house. That's because it's been a long time since I have done any real work on the house. Not that there isn't a ton of work to do, I have just been burned out.
Two years ago I decided to paint the bedroom. I had painted every single room in the house except my room. I woke up one morning tired of the dingy white the former owners had painted it. I needed something fresh. Something that would make me sing when I opened my eyes.
I tried a few different colors. I got some samples and painted them on the wall opposite my bed. I tried a soothing taupe. A pretty brown. a nice Champagne. I hated them all.
I decided to please myself and paint the room yellow. There has never  been a moment of regret. I woke up smiling the morning after the room was painted.
I began to work on painting the trim in November of 2013. I was right in the middle of it when I got a phone call that changed everything. Tommy lost his job and was on his way home. There was now no budget for new curtains, or the rest of the blinds (I was going to buy them in sets of four, since they were so expensive, and I needed thirteen of them.) No carpet. Everything came to a grinding half for over a year. I just let it go. I put the light switch plates back on, bought some five dollar blinds for the other nine windows and ignored the half finished trim for the next two years.
But lately it's been getting to me.
I really want a finished bedroom I am tired of looking at the half painted trim.
So today I bought a small quart of paint and two paintbrushes, dragged my ladder up the stairs, and got to work.
Several hours and a lot of BeeGees songs later I stepped back, Brushed some paint chips off my hands, pushed back my paint spattered hair, and looked at the one wall that was now entirely finished. I was amazed. And smiling. I feel a stirring of excitement. Maybe I can get some stuff done around here. It's good to be back in the swing of things.

No comments: