Home Sweet Home

Home Sweet Home

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

I am really sweating the insurance guy coming to my house. I don't know what he is going to be looking for so I'm stressing about everything, even things I KNOW won't matter. So then I thought well maybe I am getting all upset over nothing. Maybe he won't even come in the house, I will just call them and find out. I was really hoping, really thinking positively that he wouldn't have to come in and I could relax and enjoy the upcoming holiday season. *sigh*. No dice. He's coming in to look around. The good news? He has thirty days after the policy goes into effect and we have some control over the day, so it won't be tomorrow or even this week. This gives me a little bit of much needed time to finish the 101 things on my immediate list. (come on, every single one of you has one of these, I KNOW, especially you, housebloggers!) Then we can move on to the other list, of not as important things. (ha! like that's ever going to happen, right?!)
Anyway, I have made a deal with myself; If I just do one project a day for the next thirty days, that's thirty things off my list, right?
I started yesterday with the dishwasher. The thing is falling apart. It's unlevel and the door won't shut. When I took off the bottom and had a look the reason was immediately apparent. One of the legs was laying on the floor right beside the appliance. Hmmm...that would be why the bracket holding it to the underside of the countertop has pulled off. That would be why the dishwasher is literally coming out of the wall.
Problem: It's the back leg that has come off. I can't raise it up to put it back on way back in there. So I did the next best thing, got a skinny piece of wood and just jacked up the left side of my dishwasher. And it worked a treat. I then rescrewed the bracket to the underside of the counter and now I am able to shut the door, no problemo!
Today I didn't get around to doing much, just replacing the bulbs in the old chandelier...and for some reason I found the glass ball that hangs below the prisms in the corner of the living room last week. It didn't fall off by itself and despite my questions nobody has owned up to the crime. I don't think it was one of my own kids, they usually don't go around ripping things off of things in the downstairs. I think it might have been one of the jillion friends that ebb and flow through this house on a daily basis.
So I replaced it, with a mental note to watch the children that come in and out of here a little more carefully.
So tomorrow, since I did very little today, I think I will do two projects. The plastic light cover in the hallway needs replacing (I know, I know, plastic? what were the previous owners thinking?)
And I think I will work on the bathroom walls tomorrow. We will see. Supposed to snow tonight.

No comments: